Hey Internet,
This is my first ever blog! For my Communication Technology class, I have to make a blog and discuss communication related issues for a few weeks. In this blog, I will be talking about the issues of the government trying to take control of the Internet, more specifically, SOPA and PIPA.
Before I get into my opinions on this issue, let me give those who don't really understand these two acts the facts. SOPA (Stop Internet Piracy Act) is a bill that would allow the U.S. Government the right to shut down any website, domestic or international, that in any way infringes on copyright laws. PIPA (Protect IP Act) is a bill that if passed would allow the U.S. Government to take legal action against any site that potentially infringes on copyright laws. For more info, check out SOPA/PIPA Explanation
I am strongly against the government trying to censor the biggest forum of free speech. SOPA has caused an outcry across the Internet community, including some of the largest powerhouses, such as Google, Wikipedia, and Reddit. A few weeks ago, Wikipedia and Reddit went into black-out mode for 24 hours to show the world what life would be like if SOPA was passed. That's a really scary thought.
Thanks for reading and look out for more post. Please comment with any opinions.
I think you have a great topic on your hands. As current as this is issue is in the media, I think you will benefit by writing this blog. I think the SOPA and PIPA laws are awful and should not be implemented. They would both take away our right to freedom of speech and forever change the dominant form of media of this era.
ReplyDeleteI think this is a perfect topic and I am really interested to see where you take this. I have become more and more interested in the motives of the numerous hackers jabbing governments around the world. I believe that if measures are taken to censor the internet there will be an overwhelming uprising of hacktivists to battle the overbearing clench of the man.
ReplyDelete