A blog about the government trying to censor the Internet with SOPA and PIPA. I only hope they don't censor me...
Saturday, March 10, 2012
Wiki Drops Go Daddy
When SOPA and PIPA first started becoming big, major websites and domain companies began taking sides in the battle against Internet censoring. Some of the largest sites on the Internet, including Google, Wikipedia, and Reddit, were completely against SOPA. Go Daddy, a domain name registrar, went in the opposite direction, and immediately suffered the consequences.
On December 22, 2011, Reddit came out with a list of major websites that supported the SOPA and PIPA bills. One of the largest on the list was Go Daddy. After the report came out, Go Daddy continued to support SOPA. This caused outrage over the Internet. Many sites began dropping their accounts with Go Daddy and finding other domain registrars. The biggest of these was Wikipedia. Founder Jim Wales reported that he was going to have all of his Wiki sites transfered off of Go Daddy. This scared Go Daddy into changing their mind about SOPA. By December 23, Go Daddy released a statement, saying "Go Daddy will support it [SOPA] when and if the Internet community supports it". This was not very reassuring for many of Go Daddy's users, and by December 25, Go Daddy lost over 16,000 domains. The next day, Google did its part, by trying to remove Go Daddy as the first link when searching "domain registration". There efforts disseminated shortly after. Even Anonymous had something to say about Go Daddy's support of SOPA:
Go Daddy thought that by changing their support for SOPA, it would bring back its customers and Wikipedia would keep them. Although their biggest mistake was supporting SOPA in the first place, they also made the mistake of leaving the door open on the SOPA bill. Although they took a 180 and were against SOPA, they still thought that some of it was a good idea and that if the bill became stronger, they would change sides again.
Wikimedia, the parent company of Wikipedia, and the 5th most visited web property on the Internet, completed its transfer from Go Daddy on March 9th. They decided to switch their business to MarkMonitor.
Wow, I didn't know that about Go Daddy. As a web developer I am not a fan because of how they treat their customers. They are evil and only want to make as much money as people can be tricked into giving them. They make it difficult to navigate through the site once you purchase a domain allowing them to force you to read through more product listings. If you go idle for a minute the site tries to log you out so you have to go back to the home page and look at more product listings. They want to take advantage of people and need more people to leave them.
I was amazed as well, I was not aware of their actions. I was only aware of the hot girls they show on their commercials. It seems as if their tactics are set up for getting over on the user rather than making things easier on them.
I didn't realize that GoDaddy was such a big deal. But for Wikipedia to be dropping them as well as Google I guess their company is bigger than I thought it was. I am glad though that they did. It is great to see companies stand up for what they believe is right. And the whole SOPA and PIPA thing is ridiculous. I would think that most people who use the internet regularly would agree with Google and Wikipedia to drop GoDaddy for supporting them.
Wow, I didn't know that about Go Daddy. As a web developer I am not a fan because of how they treat their customers. They are evil and only want to make as much money as people can be tricked into giving them. They make it difficult to navigate through the site once you purchase a domain allowing them to force you to read through more product listings. If you go idle for a minute the site tries to log you out so you have to go back to the home page and look at more product listings. They want to take advantage of people and need more people to leave them.
ReplyDeleteI was amazed as well, I was not aware of their actions. I was only aware of the hot girls they show on their commercials. It seems as if their tactics are set up for getting over on the user rather than making things easier on them.
ReplyDeleteI didn't realize that GoDaddy was such a big deal. But for Wikipedia to be dropping them as well as Google I guess their company is bigger than I thought it was. I am glad though that they did. It is great to see companies stand up for what they believe is right. And the whole SOPA and PIPA thing is ridiculous. I would think that most people who use the internet regularly would agree with Google and Wikipedia to drop GoDaddy for supporting them.
ReplyDelete