Monday, March 12, 2012

Who's Next?

Now that Megaupload is dead, the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) is looking for a new site to take down. They set their eyes on Hotfile, another file-sharing site that they believe is just as bad, if not worse, than Megaupload. Like Megaupload, Hotfile allows users to upload any data they want, which can then be downloaded by anyone. Unlike most site-sharing sites, Hotfile pays its users to upload certain kinds of content, including copyrighted files. This upsets many different movie studios, including Disney, 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros, and Universal, all of whom want Hotfile shut down. 
The MPAA's biggest argument is that since Megaupload and Hotfile are so similar, Hotfile should also be taken down. The studios were quoted saying, "Hotfile's business model is indistinguishable from that of the website MEgaupload, which recently was indicted criminally for engaging in the very same conduct as Hotfile". The studios are also arguing that Hotfile does not comply with Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA). The site failed to keep track of it's infringing users, nor did it take down any infringing data, even after many notices were sent to take it down. 

Hotfile fought back saying that it is a DMCA agent, and provides a removal form for any infringing content. The case against Hotfile has been open since February, 2011. I hate to say it but since the MPAA had no problem getting Megaupload shutdown, I think Hotfile will soon be joining Megaupload in prison. 

If you would like to read the summary the MPAA made against Hotfile, click this link:

9 comments:

  1. I feel that it shouldn't be taken down. But it should not be allowed to pay users to upload copyrighted material unless they own the rights to that work. It's like getting paid for someone else's work, and that's not fair. But if it is their own material the MPAA has no business taking the site down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the studios would not have this problem if the cost of a movie ticket was not so much. While I do not view these sites many people do to save a buck. Just a thought. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate this so much! I have no problem with the fight against piracy but this is the wrong way to do it. It'd be like the government shutting down cell phone carriers because of the problem with texting while driving. I think this is an abuse of power and is based solely on the power of Hollywood's lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of the piracy problem is due to the services of the entertainment industry being a lot more restrictive or lower quality than what you can get via piracy. Instead of doing things like taking down filesharing services, the entertainment corps. should focus on making their services superior to what pirates offer and make their products as widely available as possible. Otherwise they can't compete in terms of the Four Currencies that influence people when they decide to pirate.

    Here's an explanation for the Four Currencies:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20120222/91144/Piracy_and_the_four_currencies.php

    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20120228/163145/Piracy_and_the_four_currencies_part_2.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were are in the midst of a cyber war over file sharing... Unfortunately since there is a monetary exchange taking place with copyrighted material that isn't theirs it makes Hotfile fall a little on the illegal side. I hope that file sharing, as long as it is used in the "fair use" arena, will become accepted in society.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will this ever stop?! I don't think the government even realizes how many file-sharing sites are out there, and more and more are just going to pop up once they shut another one down. I actually recently found out that these host sites were paying their users to upload particular popular content, which is wrong on another level. Other people shouldn't make money off of how well they can steal other people's files; sharing is caring and it can be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of these sites but that is crazy that they can shut down one site but let a similar site remain. I also did not know that sites could actually pay people to upload copyrighted content. I do not know much about this subject but if I were the one loosing $ to copyrighted content that I own, I myself would want those particular sites shut down also.

    Check out my blog:

    www.imaddictedtosocialmedia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe too that this is turning into a cyber war, a very useless one. The government probably will shut this down too but another one will come up. In fact it's ridiculous how many sites like that exist on the internet. Paying for copyrighted uploads is totally wrong, file sharing is a blessing for those who can't afford certain entertaining services. The government should start regulating the entertainment industry first before deciding to shut down websites because labels and studios fail to provide quality at an appropriate price. Great post by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to side with the government in these kinds of debates. Taking copyrighted material and sharing it without consent is illegal. Thats all there is to it. If people dont like it they should try to change the laws, not continue breaking them. These lawsuits are completely justified. Sure does a trip to the movies cost alot? Yes. But its no different that 80 years ago (given inflation). As a musician, and someone who works as one regularly, if my material was being passed around and profited from without my consent I would be upset and glad when corporations like this stepped in to take action.

    ReplyDelete